List and Names of 58 Blacklisted and Fake Universities in Nigeria by NUC 2021 (UPDATED)
- 1 List and Names of 58 Blacklisted and Fake Universities in Nigeria by NUC 2021 (UPDATED)
- 1.1 What are fake or blacklisted Universities?
- 1.2 What are fake universities in Nigeria?
- 1.3 How to Identify fake universities in Nigeria and their mode of Operation?
- 1.4 How to Identify a Fake University in Nigeria?
- 1.5 Why do People Fall Victims to these Fake Institutions?
- 1.6 Solution to Curbing the Proliferation of Fake Universities in Nigeria
- 1.7 NUC List of 58 Fake Universities in Nigeria (UPDATED)
- 1.8 NUC List of Fake Universities in Nigeria 2021 (UPDATED)
- 1.9 List of 8 Fake Universities in Nigeria Undergoing Investigation for Illegally Running Degree Programs
The proliferation of fake universities in Nigeria is alarming, raising concerns about the quality of education of the country in recent years. Nigeria as a nation is battling with corruption, banditry, terrorism, kidnapping and a host of other crimes chief among them is the proliferation of fake universities in the country.
Basically, results issued by fake universities are not recognized and cannot be used to seek for employment, which is basically a waste of time, money and effort put into a study by students of such institutions who are victims of the activities of these blacklisted universities.
What are fake or blacklisted Universities?
According to Oxford Dictionary, fake means not genuine; imitation or counterfeit.
Fake universities are universities or institutions that are not accredited or do not have the required accreditation to operate. It can also be said to be institutions whose operation and activities in a country are illegal and any certificate obtained from such institutions null and void and without legal effect.
What are fake universities in Nigeria?
Fake universities in Nigeria are institutions that have not been accredited by the Nigerian Universities Commission (NUC) unlike recognized institutions in the country.
The NUC is the body or organisation empowered by the government of Nigeria to issue licenses to any university. Any institution which do not have this license is said to be fake without any further argument. Before the NUC issues licenses, it considers a lot of factors, ranging from facility, location of the institution, number of lecturers and staff among others. The NUC licenses are renewed every four years.
How to Identify fake universities in Nigeria and their mode of Operation?
The fake universities in Nigeria can easily be identified in the sense that their admission process is usually not through the Joint Admission and Matriculation Board, JAMB, which is the legal body saddled with the responsibility of conduction the preliminary exams for students wishing to gain admission to tertiary institutions in Nigeria.
The mode of operation of these fake universities in Nigeria are usually though email and SMS. They will send you an email or SMS telling you, that you have been given admission when in fact you did not apply to their school in the first place. These of course will be accepted by unsuspecting members of the public who will in turn process such admission and end up being victims of scam.
How to Identify a Fake University in Nigeria?
To confirm if a university is fake or not, always confirm through the JAMB and Federal Ministry of education websites.
Why do People Fall Victims to these Fake Institutions?
There are over 2.5 million candidates who sit for examination to gain admission into schools in Nigeria but a paltry number of about 400,000 to 500,000 end up gaining admission. The rest are left to either try again the next year with no assurance of gaining admission or at the mercy of these scammers. So, more institutions are needed in the country to carter for these admission seekers.
Check Out: Top 10 Best Universities in Nigeria in 2021
Solution to Curbing the Proliferation of Fake Universities in Nigeria
The government and private sectors should provide funds for the establishment of more universities in the country, this will go a long way to curb the establishment of fake institutions. Also note that some of these institutions do not have negative intentions, so it is advisable that the government partners with private individuals who have good intentions towards the general public to grant them license to operate.
NUC List of 58 Fake Universities in Nigeria (UPDATED)
Also, the National Universities Commission, NUC, has warned the Operators of these 58 fake universities in Nigeria carrying out illegal operations at the moment in the country to desist from such or face the full wrath of the law.
The commission also disclosed that it was investigating eight other universities for running illegal degree programs.
NUC List of Fake Universities in Nigeria 2021 (UPDATED)
The following is the list of fake universities in Nigeria whose operation has been declared illegal, attending these schools is at your own peril.
- University of Accountancy and Management Studies, operating anywhere in Nigeria
- Christians of Charity American University of Science and Technology, Nkpor, Anambra State or any of its other campuses
- University of Industry, Yaba, Lagos or any of its other campuses
- University of Applied Sciences and Management, Port Novo, Republic of Benin or any of its other campuses in Nigeria
- Blacksmith University, Akwa or any of its other campuses
- Volta University College, HO, Volta Region, Ghana or any of its other campuses in Nigeria
- Royal University, Izhia, PO BOX 800, Abakaliki, Ebonyi State or any of its other campuses
- Atlanta University, Anyigba, Kogi state or any of its other campuses
- United Christian University, Macotis campus, Imo State or any of its other campuses
- United Nigeria University College, Okija Anambra State or any of its other campuses.
- Samuel Ahmadu University, Makurdi, Benue State or any of its other campuses
- UNESCO University, Ndoni, Rivers State or any of its other campuses
- Saint Augustine’s University of Technology, Jos, Plateau State or any of its other campuses
- The International University, Missouri USA, Kano and Lagos studies centres or any of its other campuses in Nigeria
- Collumbus University, UK, operating anywhere in Nigeria
- Tiu International University, UK operating anywhere in Nigeria
- Pebbles University, UK operating anywhere in Nigeria
- London External Studies, UK, operating anywhere in Nigeria
- Pilgrims University operating anywhere in Nigeria
- Lobi Business School, Makurdi, Benue State or any of its campuses in Nigeria
- West African Christian University operating anywhere in Nigeria
- Bolta University College, Aba or any of its campuses in Nigeria
- JBC Seminary Inc. (Wukari Jubilee University) Kaduna illegal campus
- Western University, Esie Kwara State or any of its campuses in Nigeria
- St. Andrews University College, Abuja or any of its other campuses in Nigeria
- EC-Council USA, Ikeja Lagos Study Centre
- Atlas University, Ikot Udoso Uko, Uyo, Akwa Ibom State or any of its other campuses in Nigeria 28. Concept College/Universities (London) Ilorin or any of its other campuses in Nigeria
- Halifax Gateway University, Ikeja or any of its campuses in Nigeria
- Kingdom of Christ University, Abuja or any of its other campuses in Nigeria
- Acada University, Akinlalu Oyo state or any of its other campuses in Nigeria
- Filfom University, Mbaise, Imo State or any of its other campuses in Nigeria
- Houdegbe North American University campuses in Nigeria
- Atlantic Intercontinental University, Okija Anambra State
- Open International University, Akure
- Middle Belt University (North Central University) Otukpo
- Lead Way University, Ugheli, Delta State
- Metro University, Dutse/Bwari Abuja
- Southend University, Ngwuro Egeru (Afam) Ndoki, Rivers State
- Olympic University, Nsukka, Enugu State
- Federal College of Complementary and Alternative Medicine, Abuja
- Temple University, Abuja
- Irish University Business School, London, operating anywhere in Nigeria
- National University of Technology, Lafia, Nasarawa State
- University of Accountancy and Management Studies, Mowe, Lagos – Ibadan Expressway and its annex at 41, Ikorodu road, Lagos.
- University of Education, Wenneba Ghana operating anywhere in Nigeria
- Cape Coast University, Ghana operating in Nigeria
- African University Cooperative Development (AUCD) Cotonou, Benin Republic operating anywhere in Nigeria
- Pacific Western University, Denver Colorado, Owerri study centre
- Evangel University of America and Chudick Management Academic, Lagos
- Enugu State University of Science and Technology (Gboko campus)
- Career Light Resources centre, Jos.
- University of West Africa, Kwali Abuja, FCT
- Coastal University, Iba Oku, Akwa Ibom State
- Kaduna Business School, Kaduna 56. Royal University of Theology, Minna, Niger State
- West African Union University, in collaboration with International Professional College of Administration, Science and Technology, Nigeria operating anywhere in Nigeria
- Gospel Missionary Foundation (GMF), Theological University, 165 Isolo road, Cele bus stop, Egbe Ikotun, Lagos
List of 8 Fake Universities in Nigeria Undergoing Investigation for Illegally Running Degree Programs
The commission also said eight universities are currently undergoing investigation for illegally running degree programs. The eight universities are:
1) National Universities of Nigeria, Keffi , Nassarawa State.
2) North Central University, Otukpo, Benue state.
3) Christ Alive Christian Seminary and University.
4) Richmond Open University, Arochukwu, Abia state.
5) West Coast University, Umuahia.
6) Saint Clements University, Iyin Ekiti, Ekiti state.
7) Volta University College, Aba, Abia state.
8) Illegal Satellite Campuses of Ambrose Alli University.
It warned: “For the avoidance of doubt, anybody who patronises or obtains any certificate from any of these illegal institutions does so at his or her own risk.”
According to NUC, appropriate law enforcement agencies have been informed for necessary action against the universities.
That is all we can take on the list of fake universities in Nigeria, for comment and reservations, use the comment box below.